Postdoctoral position with focus on the psychology of political rumors and social media, Department of Political Science, Aarhus University 894915
A postdoctoral position with focus on the psychology of political rumors and social media is open with Professor Michael Bang Petersen, director of the Politics and Evolution Lab (www.ps.au.dk/ponelab
), housed at the Department of Political Science, Aarhus University.
The research project
The position is related to a project funded by the Aarhus University Research Foundation. The project is entitled “The Politics of Rumors in the Age of Social Media: Why, How and When Hostile Political Rumors Spread and Polarize” (a short description can be found here)
. The project runs from 2017 to 2019. The focus of the advertised position is to take a leading role in working with programmers to build an experimental platform that mimics the flow of information on social media and, subsequently, participate in designing, running and analyzing experiments using this platform. Research will primarily be carried out collaboratively with Professor Michael Bang Petersen, but there will also to some extent be opportunities for pursuing independent work within the focus of the project. The project includes funding for research assistants, data collection, traveling and workshops. A second postdoc will join the project at a later stage.
Applicants are expected to hold – or be close to completing – a PhD in relevant areas within political psychology, social psychology or evolutionary psychology. In addition to interest in conducting collaborative research within the focus area of the project, applicants must demonstrate the ability to conduct state-of-the-art research on social behavior and attitudes, possess strong methodological skills within the domain of survey and/or laboratory experiments, excellent command of spoken and written English, and preferably experience with publishing in international, peer-reviewed journals.
The postdoc position is expected to last two years beginning September 1, 2017. In addition to the outlined research tasks, the position entails teaching equivalent to one course per year. Depending on the applicant’s prior teaching experience and the need for the applicant’s teaching capacity in the relevant years, a one-year extension in return for additional teaching is negotiable. This extension will be decided by the Department Chair no later than one year after employment.
Who we are
The Department of Political Science is one of the six departments at Aarhus BSS
, one of the four faculties at Aarhus University. Aarhus BSS unites the business and social science-related research fields and brings them closer together to reflect the close relationship between society and the business community. As part of a Top 100 university, Aarhus BSS – and specifically the Department of Political Science – has achieved the distinguished AASCB and AMBA accreditations.
At the Department of Political Science, we emphasise a dynamic and flexible research and teaching profile characterised by pluralism and openness. With around 90 academic staff members and 40 PhD students, we offer a lively and ambitious research and teaching environment.
The research carried out at the department not only covers a variety of political science disciplines, but also represents a variety of methodological approaches. This not only enables us to focus on new problem areas as they appear on the national and international political arenas, but also allows us to contribute actively to the development of the discipline. We also emphasise communicating our research results to the political-administrative system and to the public in general.
For more information about the Department of Political Science, please visit: http://ps.au.dk/.
For further information about the position and the department, please contact Professor Michael Bang Petersen, Email: email@example.com
If you need help uploading your application or have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR supporter Johanne Sejersen, Tel.: +45 8715 2497, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
International applicant? Find information about entering and working in Denmark here
Place of work
Bartholins Allé 7, 8000 Aarhus C
Applicants should hold a PhD or equivalent academic qualifications.
- Aarhus BSS refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities (the Appointment Order) under the Danish Ministry of Science, Innovation and Higher Education.
- Appointment shall be in accordance with the collective labour agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations AC.
- Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities .
- Further information on the application and supplementary materials may be found in Applicant Guidelines.
- Teaching portfolio, degree certificate (copy), curriculum vitae and complete list of publications (including annotations for not enclosed items) must be submitted with the application together with no more than 3 selected publications. Please note that co-authorship statements including detailed information on applicant's contribution must be enclosed for joint research.
- Scientific publications and other application material which cannot be uploaded together with the application can be sent in hard copy (3 copies) by surface mail to Aarhus BSS HR & PhD, Aarhus School of Business and Social Sciences, Aarhus University, Taasingegade 1, building 1447, DK-8000 Aarhus C, Denmark and must have reached the office no later than the application deadline. All hard copy application material must be marked with the ID number in the email you receive after having submitted the online application.
In addition to a CV, application letter, proof of PhD degree (or the near completion of a PhD degree), publications or papers, interested candidates should provide a short research proposal (max. 3 pages), outlining potential avenues for research related to the focus of the position.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply, regardless of their personal background.
Alle ansøgninger skal være lavet online og modtaget senest:
Søg stilling online her
Aarhus Universitet er et moderne, fagligt bredt og forskningsintensivt universitet med høj kvalitet
i uddannelse og forskning og et stærkt engagement i samfundsudviklingen nationalt og globalt.
Universitetet tilbyder et inspirerende uddannelses- og forskningsmiljø
for 42.500 studerende og 11.500 medarbejdere og har et årligt budget på 6,3 mia. kr.
Læs mere på www.au.dk.